Questions To Ask Before Hip Surgery by Zimmer
Here’s a list of questions that may be helpful to ask your doctor before your hip surgery. We suggest you print this list and take it with you on your appointment.
What complications may occur with this kind of surgery?
- What is the expected recovery time?
- How many days will I be in the hospital after surgery?
- Will I have physical therapy? If so, how often and for how long?
- Will I need full-time or part-time care? If so, for how long?
- Will I need a hospital bed at home?
- When can I lie on the operative side?
- How soon will I be able to walk after surgery?
- Will I need crutches or a walker? If so, for how long?
- How soon will I be able to climb stairs after surgery?
- How soon will I be able to drive a car after surgery?
- When can I shower after surgery?
- How soon will I be able to resume normal lifestyle activities besides walking (e.g., work, sports, housework, gardening, etc.)?
- Which sports may I participate in?
- What are lifting limits?
- When is sexual intercourse feasible after surgery?
- Will I set off the metal detectors at the airport?
- Will I need antibiotics for dental care?
- What is the implant made of? Which biomaterials will be used?
- In your estimate, how long will my joint replacement last?
- What can I do to help keep my joint replacement functioning as long as possible?
- What activities or other factors could make my joint replacement wear out more quickly, and what can I do to avoid them?